This was one of some twenty-four townships in the parish of Blackburn in Lancashire. It is situated in the Ribble Valley to the north of the parish.
There was a chapel of ease in the township, but this seems to have been in ruins by the end of Elizabeth’s reign.
Wm. Alexander Abram, A History of Blackburn Town and Parish (Blackburn, 1877).