This parish was situated in the south-west corner of the county of Lancashire. It comprised the townships of Bootle cum Linacre, Everton, Fazakerley, Formby, Kirkby, Kirkdale, Liverpool, Walton and West Derby. The extra parochial areas of Simonswood and Toxteth Park were within its borders. The most important town in the parish was Liverpool, which became a separate parish in 1699.
Being a large parish, it included a number of chapelries such as those at Kirkby, Liverpool and West Derby and also the detached chapelry of Formby.
The advowson of the parish was purchased by Thomas Molyneux of Sefton in 1470 and remained with this manor until 1747. Several members of the Molyneux family were rectors during the sixteenth century and most appointed vicars as they were absentees.
The parish church building was largely destroyed during the May Blitz of 1941, but subsequently rebuilt and rededicated.
Janet E. Hollinshead, Liverpool in the Sixteenth Century (Lancaster, 2007).