This parish consisted of just three townships, Coddington, Aldersey and Chowley.
The church building was early medieval, with a thatched roof and wooden belltower. It was described by Ormerod as ‘a low mean building’ and the nineteenth century it had become unsafe so was demolished and rebuilt in 1833 with sandstone quarried locally. It is a simple design with no chancel.
The rectory was never appropriated, but the advowson was granted to St Werburgh’s Abbey in Chester. Following the dissolution this passed to the dean and chapter of Chester Cathedral. The rector owned the tithes of Coddington, except those of part of the hamlet of Bechin, plus two-thirds of those of Aldersey and half of the tithes of Chowley. The tithes of Bechin were the subject of a cause in the consistory court in 1566.
George Ormerod, The History of the County Palatine and City of Chester, vol. 2 (second edition, revised and enlarged by T. Helsby, London, 1882).