Officials: Wilmesley, George


Widget not in any sidebars

GEORGE WILMESLEY

First chancellor of the diocese of Chester.

GEORGE WILMESLEY (WILMSLEY, WILMYSLEY, WILMSLOW), c. 1502-1561

Chancellor of the diocese of Chester (being both official principal and vicar-general); commissary general; registrar

Qualifications: Bachelor of Civil Law 1526-28; Bachelor of Canon Law 1528 (Oxford)

Career: university lawyer at Oxford 1527-1535 then held a number of ecclesiastical preferments including (probably) prebendary of Beckingham (Southwell) following his father’s death in about 1536; vicar-general to the bishop of Rochester 1535-1539? According to Christopher Haigh he was probably not beneficed while Chancellor of the diocese of Chester.

Further notes: Illegitimate son of George Savage, rector of Davenham; his grandmother was Katherine, sister of the first earl of Derby. One of his half-brothers, also illegitimate, was Edmund Bonner, bishop of London.

It was possibly while he was vicar-general to John Hilsey, bishop of Rochester, that Wilmesley met John Bird, Hilsey’s chaplain, and subsequently his patron as bishop of Chester.

Sources:

Christopher Haigh, ‘A Mid-Tudor Ecclesiastical Official: the Curious Career of George Wilmesley’, Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire, 122 (1970), pp. 1-24

Rev. G. J. Piccope (ed.), Lancashire and Cheshire Wills and Inventories from the Ecclesiastical Court, Chester, Chetham Society, old series, 33 (1857), pp. 115-124

Places: Manchester


Widget not in any sidebars

Place Type

Parish

County

Lancashire

Parish

Manchester

Deanery

Manchester

Causes

EDC 5/11/2 – Sir Robert Worsley
EDC 5/9/1 – Francis Buckley contra Elizabeth Traves
EDC 5/1580/11 – Jane Chetam, wife of Henry Chetam, contra Richard Hall, clerk. Richard Hall was one of the Fellows of Manchester Collegiate Church.
EDC 5/1580/12 – Ralph Shalcrosse contra Robert Ridinges

MANCHESTER

The parish of Manchester covered a wide area and comprised numerous townships, including Manchester and Salford. The township of Manchester occupied a significant strategic position at the crossing of two important roads and the confluence of the river Irwell and two of its tributaries. It was the site of an important Roman castle at the confluence of the Irwell and the Medlock, and this area is still known as Castlefield. By 1536 it was said to be the most populous town in Lancashire.

A church in Manchester dedicated to St Mary is mentioned in the Domesday Book, the patronage belonged to the owners of the manor, latterly the family of le Warre. The oldest parts of the building date from about 1422 to 1500, although some parts may be older. It was substantially restored and rebuilt on several occasions in the nineteenth century and also in the twentieth century following extensive bomb damage during the Second World War, although much of the early woodwork and fittings such as the choir stalls survived intact.

In 1421 a college was established there by the le Warre family, and many of its buildings still survive, some now occupied by Chetham’s library and school. In the sixteenth century, the position of the college was uncertain as it was dissolved under Edward VI, refounded by Mary, dissolved again early in Elizabeth’s reign but then refounded again by her in 1578. Following the Marian foundation the Crown assumed patronage of the parish.

William Chaderton, bishop of Chester from November 1579, moved his establishment to Manchester after his appointment as warden of Manchester College in June 1580. From this base as a member of the Ecclesiastical Commission he worked to suppress Catholicism in the diocese and in an effort to encourage conformity imprisoned many recusants, including a number of gentry, in the New Fleet prison newly-constructed in Manchester on the banks of the river Irwell. In about 1593 he returned to Chester but continued to hold the wardenship of Manchester College with the see of Chester until 1595. The controversial mathematician, astrologer and alchemist, John Dee, succeeded him as warden of the college in 1595.

The cloth industry developed from the fourteenth century with the production of ‘Manchester cottons’, woollen cloth made from unprepared fleeces. The textile industry continued to develop over the centuries, with the production of linen being added to that of woollen goods. By the middle of the eighteenth century the production of cotton cloth developed, both for consumption at home and overseas and increasing mechanisation of the cloth industry from that time made the area increasingly important as a centre of production. Other industries also developed such as iron foundries, engineering factories and paper mills. The trading and commercial growth of the town of Manchester was facilitated by the construction of canals, such as the Bridgewater canal linking the town to the port of Liverpool, and railways such as the Manchester to Liverpool line which opened in 1830.

As the town grew with the industrialisation of the area a diocese was established in 1847, and the parish church became the cathedral.

Sources:

Christopher Haigh, ‘Chaderton, William (d. 1608)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online edition) https://doi.org/10.1093/ref:odnb/5011

‘The city and parish of Manchester: Introduction ‘, in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 4, ed. William Farrer, J Brownbill( London, 1911), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol4/pp174-187 [accessed 6 January 2025]

‘Manchester: The parish and advowson’, in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 4, ed. William Farrer, J Brownbill( London, 1911), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol4/pp192-204 [accessed 6 January 2025]

‘Colleges: Manchester’, in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 2, ed. William Farrer, J Brownbill( London, 1908), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol2/p167 [accessed 6 January 2025]

‘Malpas – Manchester’, in A Topographical Dictionary of England, ed. Samuel Lewis( London, 1848), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-dict/england/pp221-247 [accessed 6 January 2025]

Historic England
Cathedral Church of St Mary, Fennell Street (1218041)
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1218041  National Heritage List for England

Click to view fullscreen

People: Traves, Elizabeth


Widget not in any sidebars

Surname

Traves

Forename

Elizabeth

Sex

Female

Parish

Manchester

Marital Status

Unmarried

Causes

EDC 5/9/1 – Defendant

All People

Directory – People

People: Keir, William


Widget not in any sidebars

Surname

Keir

Forename

William

Sex

Male

Approx Year of Birth

1490

Parish

Ashton-under-Lyne

Marital Status

Unknown

Causes

EDC 5/9/1 – Witness for the plaintiff (see transcript from EDC 2/4 in Notes)

All People

Directory – People

People: Cropper, John


Widget not in any sidebars

Surname

Cropper

Forename

John

Sex

Male

Approx Year of Birth

1510

Parish

Rochdale

Marital Status

Unknown

Causes

EDC 5/9/1 – Witness for plaintiff (see transcript from EDC 2/4 in Notes)

All People

Directory – People

People: Buckley, Francis


Widget not in any sidebars

Surname

Buckley

Forename

Francis

Sex

Male

Parish

Manchester

Marital Status

Unmarried

Remarks

EDC 5/9/1 – Plaintiff

All People

Directory – People

Places: Great Budworth


Widget not in any sidebars

Place Type

Parish

County

Cheshire

Deanery

Frodsham

Causes

EDC 5/1/4 – Joan Dutton alias Sompnor contra Richard Sompnor
EDC 5/1/10 – George Cotton, esquire, contra Margery Holford

GREAT BUDWORTH

This parish contained one of the greatest number of townships of any parish in England and was one of the largest, by the nineteenth century it comprised some 35 townships and covered 26,676 acres.

Chapelries with varying degrees of independence were situated in the parish at Little Legh, Lower Peover, Nether Whitley, Stretton and Witton.

The church building was considered ‘one of the finest examples of ecclesiastical architecture remaining in Cheshire’ (Richards). Parts of the building date back to the fourteenth century, but there have been a number of subsequent alterations and extensions funded in part by bequests by parishioners. The tower, for example, is said to date from the sixteenth century.

A stone communion table and fifteenth-century font were discovered buried under the floor when the nave was lowered during extensive remodelling in the nineteenth century.

Prior to the dissolution of Norton Priory in 1536 the church belonged to the priory and canons of Norton were normally appointed to serve at Great Budworth. After the dissolution the parish was given by Henry VIII to his new foundation of Christ Church, Oxford.

The lax morals of the canon who held the vicarage prior to the dissolution were reported by Adam Beconsall to Thomas Cromwell in 1535. However, he continued to hold the parish until his death in 1551 when he was succeeded by the first cleric presented by Christ Church who was almost certainly not resident in the parish.

There was a school in the churchyard, founded in about 1600.

The production of salt was important in the parish which included the town of Northwich, and the transport of this commodity was facilitated by the construction of the Bridgewater Canal which passes through the parish.

Sources:

‘Henry VIII: April 1535, 1-10’, in Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 8, January-July 1535, ed. James Gairdner (London, 1885), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/letters-papers-hen8/vol8/pp188-202 (vol. 8 no 496)

‘Bucknall – Buildwas’, in A Topographical Dictionary of England, ed. Samuel Lewis( London, 1848), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-dict/england/pp424-428

George Ormerod, The History of the County Palatine and City of Chester (second edition, revised and enlarged by T. Helsby, London, 1882), vol. i, pp. 605-611

Raymond Richards, Old Cheshire Churches (Revised and enlarged edition, Didsbury, 1973), pp. 170-175

Dorothy Sylvester, ‘Parish and Township in Cheshire and north-east Wales’, Journal of the Chester Archaeological Society, 54 (1967), pp. 23-36

 

Click to view fullscreen

Places: Weaverham


Widget not in any sidebars

Place Type

Parish

County

Cheshire

Deanery

Frodsham

Causes

EDC 5/1/4 – Joan Dutton alias Sompnor contra Richard Sompnor.
EDC 5/13/4 – Nicholas Hardware, vicar of Weaverham, contra Edward Walker.

 

WEAVERHAM

The parish of Weaverham comprised the townships of Acton, Crowton, Cuddington, Onston, Wallerscote and Weaverham, together with parts of Hartford and Norley. It is probable that salt was extracted in the area from Roman times.

The patron of the living was the abbot of Vale Royal Abbey, following the dissolution of the abbey the rectory and advowson of the vicarage was granted to the bishops of Chester, although the first presentation to the parish after the dissolution was made by Sir Thomas Holcroft who had acquired a lease of Vale Royal.

It is thought that there has been a church on the site of the present parish church since Saxon times. The present church is built largely of sandstone and, apart from the addition of a south porch, the exterior remains much as it was following rebuilding in the late fifteenth century. Inside there was later alteration including the addition of linenfold panelling and a wooden ceiling, said to have come from Vale Royal Abbey church.

Several thatched timber-framed cottages survive around Weaverham village centre, mostly dating from the seventeenth century.

Sources:

George Ormerod, The History of the County Palatine and City of Chester (second edition, revised and enlarged by T. Helsby, London, 1882), vol. ii, pp. 113-119

Raymond Richards, Old Cheshire Churches, (second edition, Manchester, 1973), pp. 345-351

Click to view fullscreen

Proctors: Garnett, Brian


Widget not in any sidebars

BRIAN GARNETT

Notary Public

BRIAN GARNETT, fl. 1529-1533

Qualifications: Notary Public

References to this proctor are unusual as he is often referred to as ‘Brian’ or ‘Bryan’ whereas proctors are usually referred to by their surname.

CAUSES:

ReferenceType of causeRoleOutcomeNotes
5/1/4   Matrimonial – annulment (minor)Proctor for plaintiffNot known
5/1/5   Matrimonial - separation from bed and board (adultery and cruelty)Proctor for plaintiffNot known
5/1/7   Defamation – sexual slanderProctor for plaintiffNot known

Officials: Smyth, Richard


Widget not in any sidebars

RICHARD SMYTH

Commissary of the short-lived additional consistory court of Bury; official of the archdeacon of Chester.

RICHARD SMYTH (SMYTHE/SMITH), official of the archdeacon of Chester, d. 1554

Qualifications: Bachelor of Law; Bachelor of Canon Law (no university attendance has been traced.)

CCEd person ID 37371

Career: Rector of Holy Trinity, Chester 1505 -1507; rector of Bury 1507- 1554; probably rector of Wigan 1551 -1554; probably vicar of Sandbach 1548-1554.

He resigned the living of Holy Trinity, valued at £8 15s 6d, and on the same day in October 1507 was admitted to the rectory of Bury, valued at £29 11s 4d (Cooper). He was presented to both livings by Thomas Stanley, earl of Derby.

Commissary of the short-lived additional consistory court of Bury set up by Adam Beconsall; official of the archdeacon of Chester (see EDC 5/1/7), appointed c 1524 until at least 1542; it was reported that while he held this position he regularly took bribes from the laity to cover up moral offences.

Further notes: He was unpopular with his parishioners at Bury and in 1526 he appointed a parish clerk who was unacceptable to certain parishioners who attacked him and the clerk during a service in the church. He claimed that this violence had caused the church to be put under an interdict. Smyth claimed that such violence had been inflicted upon him that he was afraid to go out or to enter the church.

He built a chapel attached to Bury church which he may have intended as a chantry for himself.

He was plaintiff in a tithe cause which may be found at EDC 5/8/1.

Sources:

George T. O. Bridgeman, The History of the Church and Manor of Wigan in the County of Lancaster, part I (Chetham Society, new series, 15, 1888), pp. 121-128

Tim Cooper, The Last Generation of English Catholic Clergy: Parish Priests in the Diocese of Coventry and Lichfield in the Early Sixteenth Century (Woodbridge, 1999), p. 61

J. P. Earwaker, The History of the Ancient Parish of Sandbach (No place of publication, 1890), p. 46

Christopher Haigh, Reformation and Resistance in Tudor Lancashire (Cambridge, 1975), pp. 3-4, 57

Douglas Jones, The Church in Chester 1300-1540 (Chetham Society 3rd series, 7, 1957), p. 172

‘Henry VIII: April 1535, 1-10’, in Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 8, January-July 1535, ed. James Gairdner (London, 1885), pp. 188-202. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/letters-papers-hen8/vol8/pp188-202  (495)

‘The parish of Bury’, in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 5, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1911), pp. 122-128. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol5/pp122-128