Officials: Bird, John


Widget not in any sidebars

JOHN BIRD

First bishop of Chester, deprived by Queen Mary; little concerned with the work of the consistory court.

JOHN BIRD (BYRD/BYRDE), bishop of Chester, (c. 1477-1558)

Qualifications:    Master of Arts, 1506; Bachelor of Divinity, 1512; Doctor of Divinity, 1514

CCEd person ID 31015

Career: Carmelite friar until the dissolution, attended Oxford University as a Carmelite; elected Provincial (in charge of pastoral supervision and oversight) of the British Province of the order in 1516 until 1519 and again from 1522 until 1534 and then 1535 until the dissolution; supporter of the divorce of Henry VIII he wrote a treatise on the matter and preached before the king at Easter 1537; in 1537 he was appointed suffragan bishop of ‘Penreth’ and acted as suffragan for the bishops of Llandaff and Lichfield; bishop of Bangor in 1539; translated to Chester in 1541 on the foundation of the diocese; deprived 1554; vicar of Great Dunmow, Essex, 1554 until his death.

Further notes: He is said to have come from an old Chester family, but this is debateable.

The diocese of Chester was one of the poorest in the country and Bird attempted to enhance his income by various ill-judged property exchanges which left the diocese worse off. He was appointed rector of Mottram in Longdendale in Cheshire by 1548 and Wistaston in Cheshire in 1552, no doubt to increase his income.

In an effort to conserve money he retained the post of archdeacon of Chester and devolved some of his authority to the rural deans, appointing a chancellor at Chester and a commissary for Richmond.

He had married during his period as bishop, and so was deprived of Chester diocese in March 1554 following the accession of Queen Mary, whose restoration of Catholicism precluded married priests. He renounced his wife, claiming that he had married against his will, and was appointed vicar of Great Dunmow in Essex in 1554 where he died in 1558. While at Great Dunmow he acted as suffragan to Edmund Bonner, bishop of London.

When he was a Carmelite, he was described as ‘pulcherrimus, eruditus, probus, dignissimus’ (Sanders quoting John Bale) (very handsome, learned, upright, very worthy). Although by the time he was appointed to Great Dunmow he was ‘well stricken in years’ and had only one eye, rumours in the parish suggested an illicit relationship between him and the young wife of a servant.

Sources:

Richard Copsey, ‘Bird, John (d. 1558)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online edition) https://doi.org/10.1093/ref:odnb/2447

Rev. F. Sanders, ‘John Bird, D.D., Bishop of Chester, 1541-1554’, Journal of the Architectural, Archaeological and Historic Society for the county and city of Chester and North Wales, new series, 13 (1907), pp. 110-126

John Strype, Ecclesiastical Memorials, vol. III, part I, (London, 1822), pp. 218-219

George Watson, ‘A misappropriated bishop’, Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, 15 (1897–9), pp. 303–308

Joyce M Horn, David M Smith, Patrick Mussett, ‘Archdeacons: Chester’, in Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541-1857: Volume 11, Carlisle, Chester, Durham, Manchester, Ripon, and Sodor and Man Dioceses( London, 2004), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/fasti-ecclesiae/1541-1847/vol11/pp45-47 [accessed 31 December 2024]

People: Cay, Arthur


Widget not in any sidebars

Surname

Cay (Caye/Kay/Kaye)

Forename

Arthur

Sex

Male

Parish

Bury

Marital Status

Unknown

Remarks

He had built a dwelling house called Cobholes on land called Cray or Cragh in the parish of Bury.

Causes

EDC 5/8/1 – defendant

All People

Directory – People

People: Smyth, Richard (rector of Bury)


Widget not in any sidebars

Surname

Smyth (Smythe/Smith)

Forename

Richard

Sex

Male

Parish

Bury

Marital Status

Unknown

Occupation Status

Clerk; rector of Bury

Remarks

Qualifications: Bachelor of Law; Bachelor of Canon Law (no university attendance has been traced).

CCEd person ID 37371

Career: rector of Holy Trinity, Chester 1505 -1507; rector of Bury 1507- 1554/5; probably rector of Wigan 1551 -1554; probably vicar of Sandbach 1548-1554.

He resigned the living of Holy Trinity, valued at £8 15s 6d, and on the same day in October 1507 was admitted to Bury, valued at £29 11s 4d (Cooper). He was presented to both these livings by Thomas Stanley, earl of Derby.

Further notes: He was unpopular with his parishioners at Bury and in 1526 he appointed a parish clerk who was unacceptable to certain parishioners who attacked him and the clerk during a service in the church. He claimed that this violence had caused the church to be put under an interdict. Smyth claimed that such violence had been inflicted upon him that he was afraid to go out or to enter the church.

He built a chapel attached to Bury church which he may have intended as a chantry for himself.

(Also listed in the Directory under ‘Officials’.)

Sources:

George T. O. Bridgeman, The History of the Church and Manor of Wigan in the County of Lancaster, part I (Chetham Society, new series, 15, 1888), pp. 121-128

Tim Cooper, The Last Generation of English Catholic Clergy: Parish Priests in the Diocese of Coventry and Lichfield in the Early Sixteenth Century (Woodbridge, 1999), p. 61

J. P. Earwaker, The History of the Ancient Parish of Sandbach (No place of publication, 1890), p. 46

Henry Fishwick (ed.), Pleadings and Depositions in the Duchy Court of Lancaster time of Henry VIII, (The Record Society of Lancashire and Cheshire, 32, 1896), pp. 151-152

Christopher Haigh, Reformation and Resistance in Tudor Lancashire (Cambridge, 1975), pp. 3-4, 57

Douglas Jones, The Church in Chester 1300-1540 (Chetham Society 3rd series, 7, 1957), p. 172

‘The parish of Bury’, in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 5, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1911), pp. 122-128. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol5/pp122-128  [accessed 31 December 2024]

 

Causes

EDC 5/8/1 – plaintiff

All People

Directory – People

Places: Bury


Widget not in any sidebars

Place Type

Parish

County

Lancashire

Parish

Bury

Deanery

Manchester

Causes

EDC 5/8/1 – Richard Smyth, rector of Bury, contra Arthur Cay

 

BURY

The parish of Bury comprised the townships of Bury, Elton, Heap, Walmersley with Shuttleworth, Tottington (Higher End and Lower End), Musbury, Cowpe, Lench, Newhall Hey and Hall Carr and the hamlet of Ramsbottom together with the chapelries of Edenfield, Heywood and Holcombe, each of which usually had a curate. Although all were included in the county of Lancashire, parts of the parish are now included in Greater Manchester.

The parish was a rectory in the gift of the lord of the manor, which had passed to the Pilkington family by the fifteenth century. The manor was acquired by the Stanley family on the accession of Henry VII in 1485 having been confiscated because of the Pilkingtons support for Richard III. The Stanleys also acquired and retained the advowson.

In 1523 or 1524 there was a short-lived attempt to establish at Bury a second Consistory Court for the archdeaconry of Chester serving the northern area. Richard Smyth, the rector of Bury, was the commissary in charge there until it was abandoned within ten years.

The church building is situated at the highest point in the town of Bury near to the remains of the castle which was in ruins by the early sixteenth century and demolished about 1644 during the parliamentary siege of the town.

There is understood to have been a church in Bury at the time of the Norman conquest. This was restored or rebuilt in about 1535, but by the middle of the eighteenth century this building had become so dilapidated that it was demolished and rebuilt between 1773 and 1780. The steeple was thought to detract from the appearance of the new building so, following damage in 1839, this was rebuilt in 1845. The whole of the eighteenth-century church building was later declared unsafe, so it was demolished and rebuilt again, retaining the early Victorian spire, which is now attached to the body of the church by a structure known as a narthex. The rebuilding work took five years, and the church was re-dedicated in February 1876.

Some memorial plaques were retained and reinstalled following the rebuilding, as was the font dating from 1854.

Bury Grammar School is thought to have been founded in 1625 and re-founded by Roger Kay, a local clergyman and fellow of St John’s College, Cambridge, in 1726. The old school building next to the church now serves as the church hall.

The town of Bury has had a market since the fifteenth century and the market continues to thrive, being noted for the sale of Bury black puddings. The main industry in the parish is textiles, and by the sixteenth century there was a flourishing woollen industry, gradually supplanted by cotton spinning, weaving and finishing. Iron and brass foundries and paper mills also grew up around the town of Bury. Industrial development was fostered by existence of two local rivers, the Irwell and its tributary, the Roch, which supplied power and water, later supplanted by the growth of local coal fields for power and canals for transport.

Famous men from the parish include John Kay, born in Walmersley, who invented the flying shuttle and Sir Robert Peel, who served twice as Prime Minister in the first half of the nineteenth century. He is regarded as the founder of the modern police force and is also famed for the repeal of the Corn Laws. He was born at Chamber Hall, Bury, (since demolished) which had been leased by his industrialist father from a family called Kay and his statue now dominates Bury town centre.

With thanks to Mark Hone for his insights into the history of Bury.

Field names include:

named in EDC 5/8/1 –
cray or cragh

Image of the church with the Victorian spire and eighteenth-century body from B. T. Barton, History of the borough of Bury and neighbourhood: in the county of Lancaster (Bury, 1874?) courtesy of HathiTrust

Sources:

B. T. Barton, History of the borough of Bury and neighbourhood: in the county of Lancaster (Bury, 1874?)

Christopher Haigh, Reformation and Resistance in Tudor Lancashire (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1975), p. 3 

‘Burton-upon-Trent – Bushey’, in A Topographical Dictionary of England, ed. Samuel Lewis( London, 1848), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-dict/england/pp452-460 [accessed 31 December 2024]

‘The parish of Bury’, in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 5, ed. William Farrer, J Brownbill( London, 1911), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol5/pp122-128 [accessed 31 December 2024]

https://www.buryparishchurch.com/history

 

Click to view fullscreen

Types of Cause: Tithes – other


Widget not in any sidebars

Personal tithes differed from predial tithes in that, if personal, the recipient was entitled to deduct expenses before paying tithe on the balance. If predial, profits should be tithed in full.

Andrew Lewis, ‘Tithe Personal and Praedial’, The Journal of Legal History, 42.2 (2021), pp. 123-146.

Agistment

Agistment refers to the profit made from letting out land to pasture another person’s cattle. The tithe is chargeable on the person who received the rent.

EDC 5/5/1 – John Fellowe, rector of Coddington, contra Jane Brereton

Easter and other offerings

Easter offerings were not strictly tithes as they were not derived from an increase in produce or income, but were intended to pay for the communion bread and wine. However, they were often grouped with small modus payments, such as the ‘house penny’ and together described as ‘tithes’. (Anne Tarver, Church Court Records: an Introduction  for Family and Local Historians (Chichester, 1995), pp. 111-112.)

EDC 5/8/1 – Richard Smyth, rector of Bury, contra Arthur Cay

Officials: Bucksey, Nicholas


Widget not in any sidebars

NICHOLAS BUCKSEY

Occasionally presided over Chester Consistory Court as commissary

NICHOLAS BUCKSEY (BUCKSYE/ BUCKSIE) d.1567

Qualifications: Canon Burne gives Bucksey the qualification of M.A. but no details of an academic career have been traced.

CCEd person ID 174199

Career: Benedictine monk of St Werburgh’s Abbey in Chester; prior of St Werburgh’s until its surrender in January 1540; appointed to the second prebend in the foundation charter of the new cathedral August 1541; treasurer of the cathedral. He was commissary of George Wilmesley who was official principal of the Chester Consistory Court, occasionally presiding over the court as deputy even following Wilmesley’s removal from office in 1556. He retained his position in the diocese through the religious changes of the reigns of Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary and Elizabeth I. He continued to preside over the consistory court occasionally until at least March 1561 (CALS EDC 1/16, f. 59v) and the appointment of Robert Leche.

Sources:

R. V. H. Burne, Chester Cathedral from its Founding by Henry VIII to the Accession of Queen Victoria (London, 1958), pp. 4, 43

‘Henry VIII: August 1541, 21-31’, in Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 16, 1540-1541, ed. James Gairdner, R H Brodie( London, 1898), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/letters-papers-hen8/vol16/pp524-537 [accessed 31 December 2024] (no. 1135(4))

 Christopher Haigh, ‘A Mid-Tudor Ecclesiastical Official: the Curious Career of George Wilmesley’, Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire, 122 (1971 for 1970), pp. 1-24

Joyce M Horn, David M Smith, Patrick Mussett, ‘Canons of Chester’, in Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541-1857: Volume 11, Carlisle, Chester, Durham, Manchester, Ripon, and Sodor and Man Dioceses( London, 2004), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/fasti-ecclesiae/1541-1847/vol11/pp50-63 [accessed 31 December 2024]

 

 

Places: Ormskirk


Widget not in any sidebars

Place Type

Parish

County

Lancashire

Parish

Ormskirk

Deanery

Warrington

Causes

EDC 5/7/1 – Hugh Holland contra Joan Bruckefeld or Holland

 

ORMSKIRK 

The parish of Ormskirk comprised the townships of Lathom, Ormskirk, Burscough, Bickerstaffe and Scarisbrick and the chapelry of Skelmersdale.

The parish church occupies an elevated position surrounded by the town of Ormskirk. It is unusual in having both a spire and a tower and is thought to be unique in having both at the same end of the building. During the remodelling of the church between 1877 and 1891 James Dixon commented on the number of burials under the floor and described it as ‘Internally, one of the most objectionable to the eye of taste’.

The original parish church was probably a wooden Saxon construction, replaced by a small Norman stone building subsequently enlarged in the Early English style, of which the earliest surviving part dates from about 1170. This was further extended by the addition of a number of chapels over the centuries, including the Bickerstaffe Chapel of the fifteenth century. The spire dates from the fifteenth century and the tower was built in 1540-50 to accommodate eight bells from Burscough Priory which was dissolved in 1536. The earl of Derby tried unsuccessfully to save the priory church but when his efforts failed the moved his family patronage to Ormskirk parish church. It is thought that the bell tower may include stone from Burscough Priory buildings.

The parish church building was badly damaged during the Civil War as Parliamentarian troops besieged the nearby home of the Stanley family at Lathom House and perhaps took out their frustration on the building which was so closely associated with the family.

The parish was appropriated to Burscough Priory, and the vicar, usually a canon of Burscough until the suppression, was paid an annual stipend of £10, together with a house and four acres of land. This arrangement continued after the dissolution of the priory when the parish passed to the crown by whom it was leased out. In 1549 the earl of Derby bought the right of presentation of the vicar

The parish of Ormskirk was a discharged vicarage which means that any vicar was ‘dischardged and acquited for ever’ from payment of a tax called first-fruits on taking over the vicarage because the value of the living was £10 per annum.

The weekly market held in the town of Ormskirk dates from the thirteenth century, and there were also two fairs each year. The Quarter Sessions were held there twice a year until 1817.

The town of Ormskirk saw very little industrialisation, and most attempts to establish industries such as textiles soon came to nothing, although some industry proved to be more stable, notably a ropeworks. Coal was mined in some areas of the parish, particularly Skelmersdale. The flat land surrounding the town of Ormskirk, which was a type of wetland known as a moss, now drained, continues to be a valuable market gardening area, specialising in potatoes.

The black and white image of the Norman window is from James Dixon, ‘Notes on certain discoveries made during alterations at Ormskirk church, with obervations’, Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire, volume 30 for 1877-8; the other black and white images are reproduced courtesy of Hathi Trust.

Sources

Historical sketches of Ormskirk, Ormskirk Church: Lathom, Lathom House, past and present; Lord Lathom, the siege of Lathom House, and reminiscences connected there with; Burscough Priory, &c., &c. (Ormskirk, 1881)

‘The parish of Ormskirk: Introduction, church and charities’, in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1907), pp. 238-246. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp238-246 [accessed 3 January 2023]

‘Townships: Ormskirk’, in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1907), pp. 261-264. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp261-264  [accessed 4 January 2023]

‘Houses of Austin canons: The priory of Burscough’, in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 2, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1908), pp. 148-152. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol2/pp148-152 [accessed 3 January 2023]

‘Orby – Ormskirk’, in A Topographical Dictionary of England, ed. Samuel Lewis (London, 1848), pp. 479-483. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-dict/england/pp479-483  [accessed 3 January 2023]

‘Skellingthorpe – Skeyton’, in A Topographical Dictionary of England, ed. Samuel Lewis (London, 1848), pp. 113-115. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-dict/england/pp113-115  [accessed 3 January 2023]

Several articles in Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire by James Dixon and other contributors cover the history of the parish and township of Ormskirk. They are available online:

https://www.hslc.org.uk/journal/vol-26-1873-1874/

https://www.hslc.org.uk/journal/vol-29-1876-1877/

https://www.hslc.org.uk/journal/vol-30-1877-1878/

https://www.hslc.org.uk/journal/vol-76-1924/

https://www.hslc.org.uk/journal/vol-139-1989/

Click to view fullscreen

People: Bruckefeld, Joan


Widget not in any sidebars

Surname

Bruckefeld

Forename

Joan

Alternative Surname

Holland

Sex

Female

Parish

Ormskirk

Marital Status

At Issue

Causes

EDC 5/7/1– defendant

All People

Directory – People

People: Holland, Hugh


Widget not in any sidebars

Surname

Holland

Forename

Hugh

Sex

Male

Marital Status

At Issue

Causes

EDC 5/7/1– plaintiff

All People

Directory – People

Places: Bexton


Widget not in any sidebars

Place Type

Township

County

Cheshire

Parish

Rostherne (Knutsford chapelry)

Deanery

Frodsham

Causes

EDC 5/4/1 – Pernell Danyell contra Joan Walton

BEXTON

Bexton was a very small hamlet, forming part of the chapelry of Knutsford. In 1848 it was entirely agricultural.

According to the website GENUKI (https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CHS/bexton) ‘The population was 49 in 1801, 87 in 1851, 124 in 1901, 11 in 1951, and 9 in 2001.’

By the middle of the seventeenth century half was held by the Cholmondeley family and half by the Daniell family.

Sources:

George Ormerod, The History of the County Palatine and City of Chester (second edition, revised and enlarged by T. Helsby, London, 1882), vol.i, pp. 507-509

‘Beverstone – Bickleigh’, in A Topographical Dictionary of England, ed. Samuel Lewis( London, 1848), British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-dict/england/pp228-233